Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Never a Dull Moment...

...around the Hafeman household, that's for sure. Last night at around midnight, Steve and I awoke to Will making the all too familiar "stridor" sound from his bed. He was struggling to breath, and we knew right away that it was croup. We immediately started a hot shower and let the bathroom fill with steam, letting Will breath in the warm moist air for about 15 minutes. No improvement. We moved on to at-home-trick number two... Steve threw a coat on the both of them, and he took Will outside into the cold air for 15 minutes. Most of the time, one of the two "treatments" does the trick, but not last night. Will's breathing was getting worse. Called the doc on call who after hearing his breathing said, "ma'am, that sounds like a little man who needs to be on his way out the door to the Emergency Department."

Great. I quickly tried to ramble off everything to Steve that he would need to make the medical staff aware of... allergies, medications, past medical history, etc. I have always been the one who makes the late-night trips to the ER, and I was not at all thrilled about the idea of me staying home. I called Steve about three times from the couch while he was driving down to the hospital, checking in on my little man and reminding Steve of all that he needed to remember.

Well, it turns out that m husband is, indeed, perfectly capable of handling situations like this. I never doubted him, really, but... I guess the medical "stuff" has always just been my domain, and last night I had to allow someone else to take over that role.

Will got a breathing treatment and an oral steroid, and his breathing improved almost immediately. The two boys were home and back in bed by 4:30 am- a record trip to the Emergency Room, that's for sure. Thank you to Steve, for being such a wonderful and competent husband and father. We are blessed to have you. :)


No comments: